Death Certificate

Any person may apply for a copy of a Death Certificate provided that the death has been registered with the South African Government.

The person who is making the application must state clearly the reasons for application.

Reporting a death that occurred outside South Africa

Deaths of South African citizens and South African permanent residence permit holders that occur outside South Africa must be reported to the nearest South African embassy or mission abroad. The country in which the death occurs must issue a death certificate and a certified copy of the death certificate must be submitted to the South African embassy or mission when reporting a death.

If the deceased is to be buried in South Africa, the embassy or mission will assist with the paperwork and arrangements with regards to transportation of the body to South Africa.

Issuing of death certificates

The Department of Home Affairs will issue a Death Certificate on receipt of the notification of death (Form BI-1663) and the Death Report (Form BI-1680).

Applications for a Death Certificate must be lodged at any office of the Department of Home Affairs or at any South African embassy, mission or consulate if the death occurs abroad.

An abridged death certificate will be issued free of charge on the same day of registration of death. An unabridged death certificate can be obtained by completing Form BI-132 and paying the required fee.

Requirements for a Copy of a Death Certificate

  • Please indicate clearly if you want an unabridged certificate for use in Argentina and abroad.
  • If you have a previous certificate, please attach a certified copy so as it becomes easier to trace the record.
  • Form BI-132 must be fully completed in black ink.

  • Remember that the Notice of death form must also have been filed in order to obtain a certificate. If in Spanish, it must be translated and duly legalized.
  • Payment of the required fee for the application

Applications are likely to take a minimum of 4 (four) months and possibly longer.

Request for a progress report on the application must be made in writing, so that the Embassy may refer it directly to the appropriate section at the Departament of Home Affairs.