A Temporary residence visa is issued to a foreigner intending to sojourn in the Republic for a period of over 3 months but not exceeding 3 years and is issued on condition that the holder is not or does not become a prohibited or undesirable person.
All temporary residence permits are valid for multiple entries, except an asylum permit, or a visitor visa specifically endorsed as “single entry only”.
Please note that no first time temporary residence visa application can be made in South Africa. It means that no foreigner will be able to enter South Africa on a visitor’s visa and then apply for a temporary immigration residence. Applications will have to be made abroad in the country of origin or legal residence.
An application for any temporary residence is subject to comply with the following general requirements:
The following general documentation must be submitted with all temporary residence visa applications on form DHA-1738, except in the event of an application for a medical treatment visa:
- Passport valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa and with at least two blank visa pages for endorsement.
- Fees payable to the appropriate South African representative office
- 2 recent passport size colour photographs with white background and the applicant facing the camera
- A duly completed application form DHA- 1738
- Statement and/or documentation confirming the purpose and duration of visit
- Medical Report BI-811 and Radiological Report BI-806 in respect of each applicant over the age of 12 years excluding pregnant women
- Police Clearance Certificate issued within less than six months from all countries where the applicant resided for 12 months or longer since 18 years, apostilled and translated to English by a sworn public translator. Please take into account that this requirement may not be waived and the application will not be accepted if this requirement is not submitted.
- An international Yellow Fever Vaccination certificate
- Proof of financial means in the forms of:
- Bank Statements
- Salary advices
- Undertaking (commitment) by the South African host in the Republic with certified copy of SA ID, accepting responsibility for the costs related to the maintenance and removal of the applicant, should this be necessary;
- Proof of medical coverage valid in RSA;
- In case of minors than 18 years old:
- Birth Certificate apostilled and translated to English by a sworn Public Translator,
- Consent from parents;
- Proof of custody or adoption of a minor, where applicable
Proof of marital status for married, divorced or widowed applicants – apostilled and translated to English by a sworn public translator;
Applicants traveling by air must be in possession of round trip tickets, or proof of sufficient funds or lodge a repatriation deposit of equivalent value to such a ticket;